Monday, February 26, 2007

Blog Progress: Moving From Rand to Brand

Preparing my response to the "5 Reasons Why I Blog" meme has had a significant influence on my planning and decision-making about both my writing life and my blogging.

Shortly before I was tagged by Kristen she had posted several lists of various "tip blogs;" one of which was for blogging. When all of that information first popped up on her site, it was overwhelming for me as a newbie to the blogosphere. I tried a couple of the linked posts and felt blasted by what I perceived as a soapbox tirade against blogs like this one I am currently writing. Now I can take some of the responsibility for not reading the titles critically and carefully selecting which ones to try first. But some of those blog experts also hold some views that the cyber-realm should not be cluttered with blogs like mine.

Another facet that contributed to the disconnect in standpoints with these online experts is the difference in the rationale on which my current blog was launched and the rationale on which these other authors founded their own blogs; and their blog tips are directed toward an audience of bloggers who share their rationale. A contributing side issue is that Kristen has been so welcoming that sometimes I forget that I am not yet on the same level as she and many of her regulars; but where they are now (and they are not static) is the general direction I am moving. So, am I satisfied with my current blog and blog style? Well, yes and no - but I am not waffling.

This blog is a laboratory, or maybe it sounds better to label it as an internship in online publishing. While I might blush at some things I have written earlier - and some things have been edited out - the primary objective is to write regularly about my process and how I make the decisions I make about writing and blogging with life notes here and there; but this is not my business or my eventual brand. It is one of my long-term goals to develop a writing business and create a brand, but I have things to learn before I am ready to formalize that phase of the process. When I take that step it will be with a different blog; so this blog's format will not change. Although as my writing grows, and I develop more ideas, the regular topics I write about may expand or change.

That said, I feel a measure of triumph at just being here today. In the past 8 weeks (I think it has been 8) I have written more than I wrote all of last year. That is not to be discounted and with each finished post the next feels more do-able. So, while not every person who reads any of my posts is going to find it interesting or worthwhile, there are a few regulars who leave a note that they had dropped by that day. And that just blows me away.

4 comments:

Kristen King, Inkthinker said...

Hey, you have every right to feel VERY proud of yourself! It takes guts to put yourself out there on the Internet for anyone who happens to click in, and it takes commitment and skill to stick with it and make something of it. You're well on your way, dearie. Don't waste your time with that comparison game. Focus on what you want and where you are in reaching your goal, and that's the only benchmark you need.

Hugs,
Kristen

G's Cottage said...

Kristen, Thanks again for your encouragement.
Deb

sylvia c. said...

I think we all have so much to learn from each other.

You seem patient, and kind, and ready (slow but sure) to move forward.

I often want to jump in without even sticking my toe in the water.

Keep on writing, and I'll keep on reading!

truly,

Sylvia C.

G's Cottage said...

Sylvia, Thanks, but I realize that sometimes what I whitewash as methodical is really the "paralysis of analysis."

Deb