Thursday, February 8, 2007

Feathered Friends

I have visitors at my birdfeeder this morning. This is a pair of Purple Finches, even if she is less than purple. I had hoped to have several different pairs to show but business is slow today.

This is the first time I have had a feeder for a while. I had a large multi-port feeder about 3 years ago; but it was on a pole in the yard and the squirrels were so greedy they gnawed the ports out so the seeds dumped out on the ground. That was very discouraging. Also it was not in a place where it could be observed handily.

So my husband gave me a new feeder this year that is supposed to be squirrel proof and be small- to mid-sized bird friendly. For the present it is hanging at edge of the deck canopy. It remains to be seen if this will become its permanent location. This location has the advantage of being seen from the breakfast table without the birds realizing we are watching, but it might make the deck messier that I can live with in general. We'll see how it goes.

And Misty votes for this location as well, although I fear she is going to knock herself cuckoo banging against the glass trying to chase them. Misty is what is known as a "fast" cat. That means she is only interested in things that dart quickly. She does not watch TV or the Mallards that waddle by the patio in the late spring because those things are just too slow to be interesting; in other words not likely to be prey.

No comments: