Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Sequence: who decides what's right?

Quick post here, I was doing a check of updates on my blogroll and noticed Chip Scanlan's post on The New Yorker's David Denby's article on "The New Disorder" in film timelines.

I don't foresee being involved in film writing, so on the one hand it doesn't seem to be my concern. But then I remembered that I enjoy a good movie now and again, and I wonder if this is going to affect my enjoyment of movies in the future.

The more pressing question at the moment though is what effect will cinematic timeline hacking have on written story sequencing. Is this a passing phase? Or is the reading public, which can have fickle tastes from time to time, going to move toward rejecting traditionally accepted modes of story sequencing in favor of a less than cogent construction?

I would be interested in hearing others' take on this issue.

No comments: