Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Column - the last word (I think)

Almost two weeks ago I posted that I was considering stepping down from the contract column. After two more rounds I finally sent my letter of resignation on Monday morning. The final straw was being informed that the events I was planning to cover over last weekend were actually the domain of the staff reporter even if they looked like "soft" events. That cut my potential content in half and left me scrambling for dregs once again.

They were very pleasant about my decision and said they would still welcome pitches for future features. I guess that will be a "believe it when I see it" situation.

I have feelings on both sides of the fence. On the one side I feel like a failure and a slacker but I have documentation on how much time, effort and gas I invested in trying to find a breakthrough for sources and tips that did not infringe on the staff reporters turf. But I learned a good deal about myself and the kinds of stories I want to pursue which are people stories and not just a social calendar (bleh).

A very influential factor in my decision was that I realized the "official" column made me look like a newspaper person but the content did not support that view. I may want into journalism badly but I refuse to just look like a journalist; I have to read like one. With that in mind I finally went out and signed up for a course at NewsU on reporting and beat management. I have been registered with Poynter Online for a couple of years and while I have read through the list of courses I felt held back from taking one. If nothing else being a contract with a paper helps me feel that I have a legitimate reason to enroll in courses.

So thanks for bearing with all this crisis drama and I think this should wrap it up for a while at least. Maybe I can get back to writing about something a tad bit more interesting. Maybe I will do more research into moving toward a niche blog. Scary isn't it?

4 comments:

sylvia c. said...

"a niche blog"

Hmmm, sounds exciting!

Good luck with a new path, may you trust your instinct!

truly,

Sylvia C.

G's Cottage said...

Thanks Sylvia. But talk about new paths, you go girl. I could almost be green except for the part about being a kindergarten aide.

sylvia c. said...

Hey, Deb,

I was awarded “The Thinking Blogger Award” and I wanted to pass it on to you, for all of the deep insights and ponderings this blog provides.

You can check out my blog for more details!

Oh, and, thanks for your support!

truly,

Sylvia C.
www.sylvias-journal.blogspot.com

G's Cottage said...

Sylvia, I'm speechless. Thanks for thinking of me. I do ponder things and I like to share some of those to see if others out there are of the contemplative bent. (But my husband reminds me that sometimes I substitute thinking for doing.) I will email you tomorrow.

Deb