Friday, May 4, 2007

May Day! May Day!

Mallard LandingOkay, I've taken better pictures but I couldn't resist the action in this one. I was taking pictures of the ducklings out for a swim this morning (I missed the inaugural 2 days ago because I was at work). Dad and the three bachelors were snoozing on the bank just out of frame. Mom was nowhere to be seen. I thought I could hear a duck's quack, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

So, glued to the viewfinder, I proceeded to snap away even though the quacking was getting louder - a lot louder. How about right over the back of my head and down into the pool. Look out duckies! Unfortunately I had chosen to stand right in the established glide path. I had been leaning forward at the time to frame these four little guys, who in the chaos ended up in the upper part of the shot. Needless to say that it scared the bejeezers out of me and I was lucky not to fall face first into the pool myself.

Oh, and this is not mom, it's yet another bachelor. What's up with all the bachelor ducks this year? And the ducklings were completely clueless about the aerial bandit until he skidded to within inches of them which finally sent them scurrying for cover. Who says there is no excitement in the backyard.

1 comment:

scribbit said...

Yes, you certainly paint an exciting picture. QUite a soap opera you've got going there at the pond.

Love the picture.