Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day Cookout: Deviled Eggs

Deviled Eggs on Daisy PlateWhat would be a summer cookout without Deviled Eggs? While I love these, I only make them when there won't be leftovers as they are very fragile and a tad heavy on the calories to boot. I do not make the homemade mayonnaise starter my mother used to slave over. It was delicious and she was famous for it; however, it takes but a split second to go from golden delight to curdled disaster. So I cheat and use store bought.


Deviled Eggs (makes 12 halves)

6 hard cooked eggs, chilled thoroughly and peeled.
Slice carefully and remove the yolks to a small bowl.
Mash the yolks until smooth.
Mix in 1 Tbsp of salad dressing (like Miracle Whip) for each yolk.
Add 1 Tbsp of prepared mustard.
If yolks are especially dry adjust the dressing for more moisture.
Optional: mix in a dash of salt and paprika if desired
Fill the hollows of the eggs and arrange on a plate and add a dash of paprika for garnish.
Keep cold!

This specialty plate belonged to my grandmother who only used it for Ladies' Aid Society Luncheons. This one is not going to the cookout and risk being dropped; I have a plain one also.

4 comments:

sylvia c. said...

Yum!

Thanks for the recipe.

I'll probably make some this week!

truly,

Sylvia C.

Scribbit said...

I LOVE deviled eggs, though I could eat a whole plate which can't be good for my cholesterol. ANd the plate is truly lovely.

G's Cottage said...

I didn't make them for years because I remembered how much time my mother put into them. Mine would look cuter though if I would get a pastry bag with a star tip, but rolled waxed paper is usually what's on hand.

Daisy said...

Mmmm...yum. We don't make them often, either, but they're totally worth it.