Friday, June 29, 2007

Poll: Share Food with a Stranger

This afternoon on NPR's All Things Considered, John Burnett talks with a couple, Jeff and JoJo, in San Diego that he met through an unusual exchange at a New Orleans restaurant. Jeff asked John for a taste of his barbecued shrimp. That's right, Jeff, a total stranger to John, looked over and asked for a taste of the food he was already eating. What would you think?

I have had people at my table, in my own dinner party ask to try something they had not been brave enough to risk their dining pleasure to order. But, I have never been asked by a total stranger. The rest of the interview is quite thought-provoking and I highly recommend investing the 4 minutes it takes to hear the whole discussion.

How would you respond if a total stranger leaned over and asked for a taste of your dinner? Would you be shocked, or queasy, or consider it absolutely reasonable? I am running a poll in my sidebar until Monday night, July 2, at 11:59 PM. Please participate in the poll and leave a comment explaining your answer.

Update: With holiday travel plans some readers may not have internet access so I have extended the poll to Thursday night, July 5, at 11:59 PM.

If enough respond I'll post a summary next week.

3 comments:

AuthorMomWith Dogs said...

Interesting... I think it would totally depend upon the person asking. In which case, I could conceivably have all of the reactions you mentioned. One reaction I commonly have to people showing chutzpah is to laugh.

G's Cottage said...

I agree that theoretically all answers are possible, even likely. That is the downside of a poll external to the milieu.

Jeff and JoJo ask people who don't know anything about them for a taste of their food. I hope people will not over-analyze and just answer from their gut-first reaction. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.

Scribbit said...

Oh interesting! I was riding somewhere and heard the trailer (or whatever you'd call it) for this segment but had to leave the car before it started and was wondering what they had to say.

I would think it was way-out-there odd for a stranger to ask. Not for someone in the dining party though. I guess it's not as if it's a question of hunger or malnutrition when you're dining at a nice restaurant and I wouldn't be able to not think, "if you want to know, go order your own!"

I'm so mean. And evidently guard my food like a mother bear :)