Friday, June 8, 2007

Reader Survey: What's working?

I am starting my sixth month of blogging and it has been an exodus to put it in generous terms. I feel I am turning a corner in writing online and the time is right for some evaluation in conjunction with some spring cleaning tasks compliments of Scribbit. I think I need to step out and take a risk with those of you who have started showing up regularly to see if I have happened to get around to putting my thoughts online that day.

So this is what I have in mind for this survey. I am looking for feedback about what on my blog is working. I have a long list of things I think and/or know are not working (or working as well as they could) but I have more trouble seeing what I should consider keeping and possibly using to better advantage. Also I can't see it with your eyes because of the ownership factor. Those who choose to participate are requested to limit their comments to one item that works in my blogging and one sentence of explanation or elaboration.

I will publish comments (use email if you prefer) time-hacked through 12:01 a.m. Tuesday. Comments that are off topic, without a working URL to your own blog, or outside the guidelines will not be accepted or posted. Thank you in advance.

2 comments:

Pieces of Me said...

What a great idea!
Your links are good. You might just want to check them from time to time as I have been noticing that suddenly some disappear.Since we both read Scribbit, I think connecting your newer posts to older posts gives the reader a sense of timelessness, continuity which is important in readership, but that's just my personal opinion.

Also on the topic of links, you might want to include links from other categories (resources). For example, I would be very interested in reading more about Elie Wiesel's Night.

G's Cottage said...

I hadn't even thought about link maintenance.

In the earlier posts there was more of the internal linking because I was basically having a discussion with myself about what I was doing and why. However, as I have started branching out I haven't always had content that connected with previous content. I think as I home in on a niche and my content becomes more regularized that will reappear "naturally" (if that makes sense).

That said, I sense that the niche issue is a major key to solving several issues in my blog including readability, consistency, reader loyalty. To be bluntly honest I think for the average webcrawler it is too much work to read my posts. Some of that I want to fix but I refuse to cater to those who believe that blog reading should require no effort on their part.

I have more thoughts but I will save them for a wrap post later. And I have a question about your last comment which I will email to you.