Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Spring Cleaning: another blog gets a new look

After talking about getting the red, well rather the rose, out of my blog I finally took the plunge. Since the title of my blog is G's Cottage I have wanted to create a cottage-in-the-woods feel to the color scheme. This is just phase 1 of several maintenance and housekeeping issues I am planning to address over the summer.

The next project is to find the right photo for my header. I will have to go on a photography safari since nothing in my digital or scanned archives has the feel I think is necessary to set the tone. But the biggest undertaking will be deciding how to deal with my lists and coordinate them into more user-friendly menus. In order to take that step I will have to gain more expertise in hacking my codes without crashing my blog. So I apologize that there will be regular jolts of relearning how my blog looks and functions but it is better for me to undertake one project at a time and do it well.

Thanks for everyone's patience.

Edited on June 14, 2007:

For those who are not regular readers of Scribbit's blog, she posted Ten Housekeeping Tips for Your Blog which I have found most useful.

General note: I have started editing my topics' labels so the categories are more cohesive and sometimes the system reads it as a ping. Sorry.

6 comments:

sylvia c. said...

How funny!

I guess it is clean-up time around the blogosphere!

Best wishes to smooth transitions that really capture what you are looking for!

truly,

Sylvia C.

Scribbit said...

You're lucky you have one of the new Blogger templates. I have an old one that won't allow me to put my topics on the sidebar. I wish I had that . . .

G's Cottage said...

Michelle, I think my sidebar is a mess. I would rather just the headers were there and clicked to open some sort of menu. I really like your top drop-down menus and shortcuts. I have been doing lots of lurking over at Stu's site (CSSPlay) getting ideas. I have edited to include the link to your housekeeping post which I meant to do originally.

DS Writer said...

I like the rustic look. That really puts me in the mood. Working up Blogger isn't so easy with particular things apparently. I also would like to do drop downs and stuff. I'll probably be knocking on your door. I hope all works out for you and you get what you are looking for.

sylvia c. said...

Deb,

I tagged you for a meme over at my blog. Come out and play if you want!

truly,

Sylvia C.

Scribbit said...

Just checking in on the progress . . .