Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Answer a Question: What would I do if?

Today's blogging prompt is Answer a Question.

I wish I had just one question, or even one answer. Right now I feel paralyzed by opportunity, by uncertainty, by doubt, by fear. No longer being tied to the regimen of spending 24 hours of my productive writing time being systematically ground into obscurity of a mindless but regularly paying job has being spiritually freeing but teeters on economic disaster.

Everyday my excitement that I can take my creative life and make something out of it is tempered with the anxiety of making my life look worthy and fiscally significant. This is not just egotistical angst, it is practical reality for the near term.

So what would I do if money were no object?

1. I would keep working on making my current blog better.

2. I would take another online NewsU course (actually these are free) to improve my print column.

3. I would find a niche of expertise and start blogging it.

4. I would take out my manuscripts and start figuring out how to tell a story I have sensed for several years that I must tell; but part of me would rather not tell.

For now that is the long and the short of it. It may not look like much but it is so much more than I started out the year with.

2 comments:

Anne Bradshaw said...

Like you, I often wonder why I write. If it weren't such a compulsive and satisfying thing to do, I'd have given up long ago. But now success is coming. I guess it pays off if you can afford never to quit. Long haul though, learning the ropes, and applying them on a regular, day-by-day basis.

If you like contests, you might enjoy the one on my blog. Great prizes. Not many entries as yet. It's called "Spotlight the Youth." Go for it! :-)

G's Cottage said...

Anne, thanks for stopping by. I try to remember to not take on more than one day at a time.