Friday, August 3, 2007

Is Excitement a Prerequisite for Success?

I have been writing lately about being glad that I can spend more time reading, researching and writing since my day job went away. Actually I have been more the just glad, there has been a sense of hopefulness associated with it; hopefulness that sometimes doesn't seem exactly rational. However, as I have sought out feedback on what I think about where I am and what should I think about it, I have time and again received a message to basically pick up the ball and run with it.

Take today for example, I read Tim Draayer's Live Your Best Life blog pretty regularly. He occasionally points readers to something he's read (or seen) elsewhere and today he linked to Craig Harper's blog where the topic was about getting excited. Of course he was talking about why he was excited but he also talked about why it could be in the reader's - meaning me, or even you - best interest to get excited about something in his or her life.

To be honest I haven't defined my reaction (response) to getting time to do what I want - which is write - as excitement. The concept of excitement is one that is several degrees of separation from my self-identity. That said, there have been faint glimmers of what the beginnings of excitement used to feel like and then come the tapes about "straightening up" and "acting your age" and "not getting carried away."

After reading Craig's post I think it is possible to get excited about my life without acting totally with irresponsible abandon and that is what I am going to turn my attention to for the moment. I thought I should just be grateful for some time to write until I would have to go and find another job. But maybe that is too small thinking. Maybe instead of tempering excitement against the possibility that I might not be able to make a living at it; maybe I don't stand a chance of succeeding if I can't tap into and get comfortable with the excitement?

So have you been excited lately? Well then you should read Tim's and Craig's thoughts and then go find something to get excited about in your own life. If you have trouble getting started Craig has a couple of starter lessons to get things moving forward. Oh, and don't forget to have fun!

3 comments:

Craig Harper said...

Hi G.

Nice blog and nice writing.
Congrats and keep up the great work..

Peace,

Craig

Shelby said...

Now this was an exciting post! I can't wait to go read the blogs you pointed us too..

I need all the inspiration I can get .. take care and happy Friday :)

Sheae said...

Your identity and your success go hand in hand. Many people sacrifice their identities by not doing what they really want to do. And that's why they're not successful. ~
Lila Swell