Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas: Soldier's letter 1945

military stationery 1945This card was sent to my mother’s family by their cousin in 1945. He was stationed in Italy and the stationary was created for the Headquarters 351st Infantry (Regiment of the 88th Infantry Division). I have linked to some 88th and 351st history sites but none describes the occupation or this building. It will take more research to locate the identity of the building.

Inside is the blue field with quatrefoil, the insignia of the 88th Infantry Division “Blue Devils.” The inscription reads:

Season's Greetings
351St Infantry Regiment
Occupational Forces at
Cave del Predil, Italy


On the back of the card Bob wrote a brief note:

12/13/45
Thur. 8:00P.M.

Hello folks,

Just a little card to let you know that I’m thinking of you even though I don’t write. I am O.K.

I’m in the Guard House now. No, I wasn’t bad. I’m on guard & we sleep here. Go on at 10: P.M.

It’s cold & windy & a real bright moon. I’ll probably not be too cold as we have lots of clothes.

Hope you get this O.K. I don’t know your address.

Hope your (sic) all well & have a nice Xmas. Wish I could be there.

Love,
Bob

Links:

Military History Online

Blue Devils 351st Infantry Regiment

Technorati tags:

1 comment:

AuthorMomWithDogs said...

Such a simple note that carries so much...

Thanks so much for the links. My brother is researching my father's regiment and this should help.