Tuesday, December 4, 2007

NaNoWriMo - I survived!

NaNoWriMo winners bannerHi all, I am slowly recovering from my frantic month at Camp NaNoWriMo. I am still quite muddled at the moment. I did take mostly two days away from the keyboard but on Mondays my column deadline comes regardless of whether my fingers want to type or not. But we made it through that as well.

I am still processing through my NaNo experience and will no doubt write a longer post on it later, but I wanted to share a few immediate impressions now, while they still have all their energy.

First, while it sounds trite and unoriginal, doing NaNo is "the best of times" and "the worst of times"(apologies to Dickens). I got to find out what happens when I sit down and schmooze my fingers to just type the first thing that comes into consciousness. That does not mean that I think anybody ought to read it but it gets down on paper - err screen? - whatever.

Second, I survived writing some of the worst stuff I ever put a keyboard to but I also wrote some things that just blew my own socks off. Seriously I think elves (mice) were sneaking in and editing while I was sleeping, here or there.

Third, I found a wonderful little community of women who long to write and fear they have no talent or means to accomplish that; but for 30 plus days have been raising a torch for each other that we will be known as writers. We have cheered and scolded and laughed together and sobbed till our keyboards threatened to short-out (and our families and house mates threatened to have us hauled away.)

I would hope that someday, if you aspire to be a writer, that you would consider joining a Camp NaNo experience. It will teach you about writing no matter what; and it will you teach that you decide you are a writer and not the rest of the world.

3 comments:

Pieces of Me said...

Hey Deb,
Sorry, I wasn't particualrly faithful checking in every now and then due to my own book writing, which I'm happy to say is slowly progressing.

First, accept my hearty congratulations. You ARE a winner. NANO confirms that writing is a process and shouldn't be product based.

I remember doing NANO last year (and won!) Teachers at school didn't know what to think of me when I told them I had reach the 30,000 crossmark. They thought I was marking essays! Good for you that you experienced it. There's nothing quite like it.I remember it does take a while to come down to planet earth.

-Dorit

Anonymous said...

Mrs.G. a big congratulations! It sounds like you had quite a month. I'll be looking forward to hearing more about it.

from
AuthorMomWithDogs

chelle said...

Such an amazing feat .... Congrats!