Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Eve: taking stock

There’s not much left to this year of 2007. It has had its ups and downs. There have been memorable moments and the forgettable. It will soon be time to draw the curtains and close the books on 2007. Before we do that, however, it’s good to take stock of what was accomplished over the year. If we do not know where we are, and even better how far we have come, we are aiming blindly at where we think want to go.

I had four primary focus areas for 2007. I wanted to make writing my work. I wanted church to be a more positive experience. I wanted to have some safe local friends. I had some financial desires. (You can read the full post on my 2007 God List.)

I did not choose a word last year as Christine Kane writes about in her Resolution post but it could have been writing or maybe write. It has been my plan to be a writer for a long time and I realized a year ago that I could start writing or I could keep waiting to be discovered and given permission to write. So I have been writing; and some of it has even paid. That writing has led to more writing; and that led to trying out some novel-length fiction.

I have gotten to meet some interesting people both through blogging as well as through the column and NaNo. Some of these are one time shot meetings and others have been developing into longer term relationships. None of them are close by but that’s okay. The most disappointing experience was that there turned out to be no kindred spirit in the local NaNo groups where the median age is about 27. Still it was an interesting sub-culture to observe.

So, without further ado, here’s how the year turned out:

- I started an exploratory blog as a platform for keeping me on track with my commitment to write every week. I also started interacting with other bloggers about blogging and writing in general.

- I got a weekly contract column slot at the local newspaper.

- I have my own home office and writing studio.

- I have been able to spend the past six months writing at home instead of driving 40 miles round trip to a dead-end low pay job.

- I took a free online writing workshop, plus a couple of emini-courses.

- I participated in and finished (reached at least 50K words) a NaNo novel for National Novel Writing Month. Also, the “buddies” I met, and shared NaNo with, have formed a Live Journal community so we can share more personally.

- I did not find a close local friend yet, but that may have a connection to the growing pains of church so I will wait and watch as things develop.

- Our finances were mixed; we gained ground in general but the heating system went out and had to be replaced.

Many positive things came about in 2007 and that gives me hope for the coming year. I will post my list for 2008 soon.

Have a safe and memorable New Year’s Eve.

Technorati tags:

4 comments:

AuthorMomWithDogs said...

Wow, that's a pretty good tally overall. I'm sure 2008 has more writing success in store for you.

Pieces of Me said...

Hi, Deb,

May I take this opportunity to wish you and your family a peaceful New Year.

I'm also looking for a kindred spirit.

It sounds from reading this, that writing has its own space in your life along with your other solid goals. I can only wish you the very best on making each of them come true as I am practically in the same boat.

It's been great getting to know you these past few months. I'm glad you are my blogging friend.

I'm interested to hear about these free online writing courses. Could you kindly pass on some more information?

Happy New Year,
Dorit

chelle said...

Your accomplishments this year are AWESOME> Way to reach your goals!

May 2008 be a year full of dreams coming true for you :)

G's Cottage said...

Thank you everyone. I have enjoyed getting to know each of you through your writing.

Deb