Saturday, January 5, 2008

Dreams yet to be

Working on my 2008 list of goals and aspirations has prompted some thinking about the word dream. Dream can mean so many things in so many different contexts. We dream during our sleep. We dream about who we want to be and what we want to accomplish.

From time to time I struggle with my dreams. Some times it is hard to figure out what I’m dealing with, and in what context to put it, as it relates to sorting out dreams about my life.

Other people do not seem to be caught in this dilemma. Generally the terms dream, dreaming, and even daydreaming seem to be used easily and without opposition by most of the rest of the world. So why is this a stumbling block for a few of us; why are we hesitant to use the words and why are we doubted or questioned when we do?

Is it fear? Is it failure or fear of failure? While I believe those are issues that oppose the work of dreams I have started looking at the role of holding back in the ability to dream or act on a dream.

As I have been working through my focus and goals for 2008, which I will be sharing soon, the thought comes up that “You can’t do that.” So I have started taking the dream item and writing the “you can’t…” after it followed by “why?”

Some people might disagree with this approach but it works for me. It has helped me sort items in the dream phase that lack something necessary to achieve them from those arbitrary naysayer voices whose goals are to hold me back from being and living in agreement with who I am.

ps: It's my first blogiversary. So much for the voices that said it couldn't be done.

Technorati tags:

3 comments:

chelle said...

That is an interesting way to approach dreams/goals.

Congrats on the blogiversary!

AuthorMomWithDogs said...

Happy Blogiversary!

Here's another thought. After you finish asking "You can't...Why?" then consider reframing the question to read "You can" followed by "How?"

Sylvia C. said...

Happy One-Year!

Best wishes to you as you find your own way to your dreams. One way won't work for all of us. Way to go--finding a way that works for you!

truly,

Sylvia C.