Monday, January 28, 2008

Salinger, unfinished

Regular readers may wonder why I removed Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye from the "Currently Reading" slot but did not post it in "2008 Books Read." I have decided not to finish it for the moment.

Since the first of the year I have had more references to Salinger and Catcher come to me through reading and blogs and conversation than I can keep track of. I only read the book once in either 10nth or 11nth grade. I remembered being uncomfortable and lost in the story line at the time. But that was almost 40 years ago and lots of things that were a problem then are no longer.

That said; while Salinger's character Holden Caulfield may be a brilliant character development and so forth the character and the story line is not for the shy, the stressed or the faint of heart. Too much of his ramblings and rumbling are too close to real life and start taking me places that serve no purpose at the moment.

If you have no issues going on in the background of your life you may find the story helpful. One of the reasons I considered a rereading is that Salinger is supposed to be a writer's writer. So I am offering a rather qualified endorsement that if you have the right frame of mind and situation you mind be a good match for reading The Catcher in the Rye.

1 comment:

chelle said...

I have read Catcher and the Rye ... Not sure I am ready to go back, still trying to figure out right now :)