Monday, May 12, 2008

Dreams, Courage and Achievement

“It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else.”Erma Bombeck (1927-1996)


There are few dreamers who would argue with that statement. Dreaming is a private activity that entails no risk. Showing that dream to another person is to risk validation, security, reputation, and/or credibility.

Few risk showing their dreams to another person. Few of those who risk showing their dreams to another person achieve them. Fewer still are those who never risk showing their dreams to another person who are able to achieve them.

If not showing your dream is blocking your achievement of it, what’s blocking your courage?

4 comments:

chelle said...

Wow. That is a wicked good question.

Melissa Donovan said...

In the words of Stevie Nicks "I keep my visions to myself." Well, sometimes I share them. The only reason I keep some dreams quiet is because I might change my mind so I usually stay mum until I'm ready to commit.

G's Cottage said...

@chelle - I can tell you're an 80's girl. My kids still use "wicked" all the time, too.

@melissa - I think you are correct that not all someones should be shared with and some dreams are ideas rather than actions.

Another point is that sometimes we are given a future glimpse but we have intermediary steps to take first; sort of like Joseph in the old Testament and telling his bully brothers he would rise over them. Sometimes our dreams need depth-perception. But there are no "dreams for sale" here (I know the lyrics too, but the Fleetwood Mac version runs in memory).

dcloud said...

Hi G. Just found your blog. It's interesting that you should be talking about dreams. I just started my blog, after years of sitting back and thinking of reasons not to, and for some reason I thought to throw on the page a little venting about my dreams. It's more of a rant than anything, but what the hay - a blog is a kind of virtual conversation with yourself anyway. Occasionally someone passes by and overhears what you're saying. Was it done with courage? That I don't know, because I've never been one to shy away from anything.