Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009 Word of the Year: Cultivate

fields











Settling on cultivate as my word of the year for 2009 was a complex process whereby I considered nearly a dozen other words only to discard them when they did not seem to connect to all the aspects of life with which I would be dealing this coming year. Some of those words were too ephemeral, others were too concrete, and still others were too inflexible.

Cultivate is an idea that slipped quietly into the back row of my conscious thoughts and sent cryptic notes through a third-party. That said, cultivate has been an irresistible concept from its arrival. It encompasses growth but allows for preparing to grow. It alludes to the future but focuses on the present. It makes allowance for things beyond one’s control but encourages back-up plans.

Cultivation is at the same time industrious and thoughtful, forward-looking and present, and it is practical as well as hopeful. Cultivation requires a measure of faith that what cannot yet be seen is an entirely possible outcome.

Some things I look forward to cultivating this year are:

- being happy,
- being inspiring,
- my creativity through writing, photography and art,
- my relationships and sense of community,
- my ability to support myself, and
- a sense of home

How do you plan your journey through the upcoming year? Share in comments or a post of your own.


This post relates to Christine Kane’s blog post Shout Out Your Word… She offers a list of suggested words for those who need a prompt. My own word “cultivate” is not on her suggested list so feel free to choose any word that speaks to you.

6 comments:

chelle said...

I am all about surviving :) I would like to enhance my creativity through writing, design and art. I am the mother of small children so that comes first for now.

Mrs_Scotsman said...

I like it!

Daisy said...

Cultivate. What a wonderful word! I usually think of it in conjunction with my garden, but it really carries multiple meanings.
I've tagged you, if you're interested. It'll be up Friday morning. Enjoy!

G's Cottage said...

@Chelle - You definitely have your plate full for some time to come. That said, as a mom of small children you could not avoid being creative if you tried.

@Mrs_Scotsman - I'm glad you like it. I think it's a good word for this year.

@Daisy - It's true cultivate can have multiple meanings but the idea that my life this year is going to be similar to a newly broken garden plot sealed it for me.

Melissa Donovan said...

I love this word. I think if I had to pick a word for 2008, this might be it. Hmm...

Margaret Cloud said...

I like that word also and the list you want to cultivate. Myself I would like to cultivate my son, he has a very bad out look on life since he had his surgery's, he is so negative about everything, I would like to turn his thought process around into a happy outlook.