Friday, February 13, 2009

Thirteen superstitions for Friday the Thirteenth

Since Friday the Thirteenth is seen as the quintessential superstition it seemed appropriate to post 13 superstitions that were common when I was growing up. These are evenly divided between good luck superstitions and bad luck superstitions.

How many of these have you heard of? Do you know their origins and how to undo the bad luck ones?

Bad luck superstitions:

  • 1. Triskaidekaphobia or the belief that the number 13 brings bad luck.
  • 2. Walking under an open ladder brings bad luck.
  • 3. Breaking a mirror brings 7 years of bad luck.
  • 4. If you speak of bad luck knock on wood.
  • 5. Rocking an empty chair will bring death to a household.
  • 6. A black cat crossing your path forewarns of bad luck.
  • 7. Seeing a shooting star means that someone has or will die.
Good luck superstitions:
  • 8. Blow out all the birthday candles in one breath and the wish will come true.
  • 9. Keep a penny in your shoe to bring good fortune.
  • 10. Rubbing a rabbit's foot brings good luck.
  • 11. An upside down horseshoe over a door collects good luck.
  • 12. A pot of gold can be found at the end of a rainbow.
  • 13. An Apple a day keeps the doctor away.
And one more for luck:
  • 14. A cricket on the hearth brings good luck.
What superstitions did you grow up with and how do those traditions affect you today?

5 comments:

chelle said...

I did not even realize today was the 13!

Step on a crack break your mother's back!

Margaret Cloud said...

Well I think I am lucky, 13 is my lucky number, I picked this number when I was young, I can't remember why. A penny in your shoe, ouch.

Melissa Donovan said...

We always knock on wood for good luck, particularly when one has escaped bad luck. I've never heard the one about rocking an empty chair and I always thought a shooting star was just something you wished upon. These are interesting!

Jenny said...

I had no idea about #5 or #7. Those are interesting though! I totally remember the crack on though, I'd always harass my sister about it when I took her for a walk!!

Deb said...

I had no idea that the ones about rocking chairs and shooting stars were so unique. I've never heard about wishing on shooting stars; but then my relatives were so freaked about them. I find shooting stars fascinating myself and especially after taking Astro. Unfortunately it is always cloudy and/or rainy here during the Perseids.