Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Write a novel as a transition tool

2009_nanowrimo_bannerAs you can see in my sidebar I will be joining the ranks of would-be speed novel writers during National Novel Writing Month in November. It starts in less than two weeks at the stroke of midnight on November first. That does introduce a tiny issue about the time change also scheduled to occur that night; when to you add the extra hour? But I'm ahead of myself.

Some have wondered, with having to navigate so many unknowns as I transition to life after marriage, how I can even consider doing it this year. I can only quote a line from Star Trek: Generations. -

"If something's important you make the time." (Mr. Scott to Admiral Kirk who wonders how Sulu found time for a family.)

I am a writer; and a writer has to write. NaNoWriMo is not economically viable at this point so I do not rearrange my paid work schedule to do it. I do, however, cut out non-essentials like movies and Spider Solitaire to make the time to do it. I also economize my household routines to do it; although my household routines are far more moldable than they were even a year ago.

While NaNo is important in my development as a writer, finishing 50K words is not a do or die deadline or goal. I did finish 50K word in 2007 and that was fun. Last year I did not finish the 50K words but I found a niche in my local group as a cheerleader for the over-50s group.

I participate in NaNoWriMo to stretch myself as a writer. It pushes me to sit down and write at lest 5 days a week for an entire month on one project. It is practice in storytelling and plot development. It is experience in managing a large manuscript where you have to keep track of the characters, thier personalities and demographics, and their role in the story.

I can't recomend it enough to anyone who has entertained the thought of "some day I'm going to write a book". While your NaNo manuscript may not lead to your own published book it will help you figure out if you have the endurance and passion to actually write a real book when that mythical "some day" arrives.

So, are you in?

1 comment:

Melissa Donovan said...

I absolutely agree. Any writer can benefit immensely from participating in NaNoWriMo, and I'm thrilled to see so many bloggers promoting it this year. Best of luck to you Deb. I'll be rooting for you!