Tuesday, November 3, 2009

NaNoWriMo Week 1 Update

Well, NaNoWriMo is off and running.


My online buddies and I celebrated by participating in a first 15 minutes writing challenge. Some of the women in the group are pretty fast typists and yours truly is not one of them but I can hold my own. Still our resulting word counts ranged from just over 300 to almost 800.

As of this morning I have the equivalent of three chapters done and about 6000 words tallied.

What is a word challenge and why bother?

NaNo can become terribly solitary when you’re writing for hours at your own laptop or desktop. It’s like running a race against a clock without another runner to gauge your pace or pose a challenge. Word wars, challenges, and dares create a sense of competition for short spurts and helps Wrimos over writing droughts.

But it’s also fun. Maybe the text that comes out in these dares and challenges can’t be used in a real book but once in a while when you stop trying so hard to be brilliant a really brilliant, or at least useful, thought sneaks out. Some of those thoughts that slip out in during a dare can take the next section or chapter or even the course of the rest of the manuscript in a whole new direction. A direction that is sharper or more insightful or more active. In general it can take the piece in just a better direction.

Short and sweet posts this month

One effect of doing NaNoWriMo is that posts will be shorter this month. Probably readers need a break from my usual lengthy epistles anyway. However, there are only so many typing hours in a week and I have to meet all my deadlines.

So the November schedule, subject to modification, will have NaNo updates on Tuesdays and more typical posts on Thursdays.

Edit: Added title; sorry I missed it in my rush yesterday.

3 comments:

Melissa Donovan said...

What a great way to kick off NaNoWriMo! Next year, I'm planning on participating. Maybe I can find a group that will launch November with a writing challenge like yours! Congrats on the 6000. Keep it up!

chelle said...

Ooo good luck.
Someday when my responsibilities to the kids are a little less I would love to participate in this!

Deb said...

@Melissa - Feel free to join our challenge; the first fifteen was an open challenge on the 30-40 group threads. And I love my group. We added three new faces...I mean identities this year.

@Chelle - I don't think NaNo is going away any time soon so when you can do it we'll be waiting with the streamers and confetti.

I can't believe I totally forgot to add my title yesterday. pfft.