Tuesday, December 8, 2009

End of the year and time to review

clock_tower

December is the last month on the calendar year. I have been doing year end reviews and new year planning for a while now and publishing those here since 2007. Actually my first real post when I started this blog in January of 2007 was my God list for the year.

If you’ve been reading for a while you are probably aware that I don’t make traditional New Year’s Resolutions. Based on my experience, and from many years of observing others play, the New Year’s Resolution game I have found it to be basically meaningless. But I also have moved away from the God list model that I picked up a long time ago.

I moved beyond these two models not because I thought the idea of setting a direction and goals for the year or seeking God’s providence in those was without merit. It has actually been the deepening of my conviction that this process done seriously and thoughtfully has had a substantial influence on how the year plays out whether or not the original script has remained intact that has nudged me to explore other systems that work better with my style of conceptualizing ideas.

I look at my life overall and at distinct categories like personal growth, work and professional development, and writing. I tend to prioritize my objectives along the lines of who am I going to be; what am I going to do; and then what do I want to have. There are exceptions but generally I have fewer disconnects keeping this process in mind.

One thing I will spend a lot of time evaluating will be my word for the year, cultivate, and finding the word for next year; although I have a hint of what it might be. Choosing a word was an idea I read at Christine Kane's blog in December 2007. Some people choose a scripture as their theme for the year and this is a useful tool as well. Since I started this planning process I haven’t been able to come up with any verses for the year in advance; so at present a word suffices. However, every word of the year I have used so far has eventually connected to at least one verse I have found meaningful.

Do you review and plan at the change of the year? Do you have a system or do you “wing it?”

Series:

End of the year and time to review

Year End Review pt1: word of the year

Year End Review pt2: accomplishment

Year End Transition and Rituals

1 comment:

chelle said...

lol I wing it, mostly. I would like to keep perspective this year (and lose a few pounds!)