Friday, March 26, 2010

No Trespassing

I was at a local park this past weekend and noticed this on a sign on the boundary fence between the park and the business property next door. Having my sketch pad and not my camera I quickly put the scene down on paper finished my lunch and moved on.

But I've been thinking about the boundaries of our lives in transition. For those of us whose transition was related to an unhealthy relationship whether domestic or social or career, how to we manage relationships going forward? Do we assess our methods and criteria for building relationships or do we take the quick and easy route by posting a "No Trespassing" sign.

It doesn't have to be an actual sign like a badge we wear on our shirt; it might be our tone, body language, or lack of meaningful but appropriate self-disclosure.

Spring is coming, and even the most delicate flowers will risk getting frostbite eventually; will we join them?

2 comments:

Melissa Donovan said...

I've seen different people handle relationship transitions in different ways. Some get right back out there in search of new relationships. Others put up a No Trespassing sign to recollect themselves for awhile. I think each person has to figure out what works while trying to maintain a lifestyle that is emotionally healthy. That's different for everyone, but the key (I believe) is health. People who rush to replace a lost relationship may not be dealing with the loss and people who never take down their No Trespassing sign are missing out on the fulfillment that a relationship can bring. It's all about balance.

Deb said...

I agree that people should work within their personality taking the past relationship damage into consideration (and not just romantic relationships). However it is very easy to get stuck in the time-out mode waiting for all the uncomfortable feelings to go away.